Casey Demons fell to Williamstown in a hard fought 23-point defeat at Burbank Oval on Easter Monday – Dale Fenney Reports

It was a strong start to the game for Casey with Bayley Fritsch taking a beautiful contested mark directly in front of goal before slotting the set-shot to draw first blood. Angus Scott was terrific in the first quarter kicking his first of two goals in the opening term in the seventh minute. Williamstown fought back in the back half of the first quarter kicking three goals to two. Angus Scott kicked his second while Cam Pederson kicked his first. Casey had all the run in the opening quarter with 108 possessions to 66 and 35 marks to 10. Jack  Trengove was the major-ball winner with 12 while Cam Pederson had 9 touches and one goal. The Demons led by seven points at quarter time.

Williamstown dominated the opening of the second quarter and were rewarded with three unanswered goals. Angus Scott pegged one back for the Demons with his third goal of the game. Casey were able to get some lockdown forward pressure but couldn't hit the scoreboard as Williamstown replied with a goal. Jack Trengove scored a much needed goal late in the second term for Casey as the Seagulls took an eight-point lead at half time. Casey had plenty of the ball in the first half with Trengove, Maynard and Scott all having 15+ possessions.

Early into the third term, Aloysio Ferreira marked on 50m and sold candy running around the Williamstown defender with his shot bouncing a metre out in the goal-square only to get the wrong bounce through for a behind. Everything was going right for Williamstown with a set-shot from the boundary and a snap from a poor kick in saw the Seagulls extend their advantage. Williamstown closed the quarter out with consecutive goals to lead by 31 points heading into the final change. The third term set up the win for Williamstown with 4.3 to 0.4.

The home side gave Casey a lot of work to do early in the last quarter with Ayce Cordy marking and scoring to extend the lead. Casey were able to shut down the Seagulls from scoring and closed the game out with two goals to none. Angus Scott added to his tally while Angus Brayshaw kicking his first. The Demons were a lot better in the final term enjoying more possession but just couldn't develop scoreboard pressure.

Williamstown won the hit-outs 75-27 which resulted in 51 clearances to 41 which proved decisive in the contest. Jack Trengove had 33 possessions, six tackles and one goal while Cam Pederson had 29 disposals and 11 marks. Angus Scott was strong up forward with four goals and 22 touches.

Casey will play their first home game this Saturday night the 22nd of April at Casey Fields with the bounce at 7:00pm against North Ballarat.