The Casey Demons have fallen to their second straight loss of the season as Werribee used a five goal run to steal a 13.9 (87) to 10.14 (74) win at Hogans Road Reserve on Sunday afternoon.

The Demons suffered some setbacks throughout the game, which wore on them late with Corey Maynard and James Harmes unable to finish the match due to injury. It was a however a stronger Casey lineup that faced Werribee as Jake Melksham and Sam Weideman were inclusions from last weekend’s side that fell to Geelong and the match started on the Demons terms. Angus Scott, playing his 50th PJVFL game led and marked 40m out and steered through the first major of the day, but as they would for most of the match, Werribee were able to find a way to respond and they took a six-point lead into the first break.

James Harmes was prolific early on in the midfield with nine disposals, while Mitch Gent and Jake Melksham asserted themselves in the contest with eight and seven respectively.

The second quarter was a spiteful one, as Corey Maynard was collected high which caused a stoppage in the match as he was taken off on a stretcher, as the Casey team remonstrated with Werribee after the incident. Jake Melksham and Lindsay Thomas both found their names in the umpires book in the second term, but once the football got back underway, it was Casey who responded best with a quick burst right before halftime.Todd Vander Haar, son of former Essendon legend Paul, started his VFL journey in the best way possible as he intercepted the Werribee kick in and went back and calmly slotted his first PJVFL goal from the fifty arc as all the Casey players ran from every position on the ground to congratulate the first gamer. Nathan Gardiner then handed one off to Angus Scott who put through his second to give the Demons a handy 14-point advantage at the main change.

Werribee shot out of the blocks to start the second half, kicking two quick goals to cut into the Demons lead, before Jack Hutchins launched a bomb inside 50 that fell to Fritsch and he crumbed and snapped truly to give Casey some breathing room. But it wouldn’t last, as Werribee again were able to answer and the margin was reduced to just three points with a quarter to play, as James Harmes suffered a cut to the eye that would keep him from playing any part in the final term and reducing the Demons bench to just three. It would take 12 minutes before either team was able to hit the scoreboard in the final term, and it was Werribee who drew first blood in the important final quarter and that was the goal that got the ball rolling.

Werribee booted the final five goals of the match to snuff out any chance of Casey holding on, running away with a 13-point victory. Jake Melksham played his first match for Casey and was productive, finishing with 30 disposals and a goal in a best on ground performance, while Dylan Collis played some tough football across the halfback line, putting his body on the line numerous times to create a contest. Jimmy Munro was given the task of matching up dangerous goal sneak Lindsay Thomas and more than held his own against the speedster, continually keeping Thomas out of the contests and watching his every move. Bayley Fritsch was able to get up the ground on occasions to create a scoring opportunity, finishing with 22 disposals and a goal.

Casey will again hit the road for the third week in a row, as they travel to Preston City Oval to face the Northern Blues on Sunday afternoon.

Goal Kickers: A. Scott 2, D. Johnstone 2, D. Kent, D. Keilty, B. Fritsch, T. Vander Haar, J. Melksham, B. Kennedy

Best Players: J. Melksham, D. Collis, J. Munro, D. Keilty, J. Hutchins, B. Fritsch