The Casey Demons have jumped into the top four with a big 24-point win over ladder-leaders Williamstown 

It was a tough game with wet and slippery conditions proving difficult for both teams, but it was the Demons who secured the four points with an 11.12 78 to 7.12 54 win. The decisive moment came in the second quarter when Casey kicked three goals in six minutes late in the quarter to gain control of the contest. The win lifts us into the top four and keeps our unbeaten home record in tact.

It was a great start to the game for the Casey Demons with all the momentum early and locking the ball inside their forward half. Jack Watts led from the front to take a great mark before slotting the opening goal of the day. The momentum swung though with Williamstown kicking three unanswered goals. Aloysio Ferreira read the ball brilliantly taking an easy mark before converting the kick late in the term. There was plenty of stoppages with wet and slippery conditions factoring heavily in the first quarter. Jack Trengove was busy with 10 possessions in the opening quarter.

Both teams are hard at it and don't mind the contested footy which is exactly what the game produced. Liam Hulett kicked his set-shot midway through the term to break the deadlock. Williamstown replied shortly after before the Demons kicked three goals in stoppage time to regain the lead and take a 12-point lead into the main break. Bayley Fritsch was the first goal-scorer putting his body on the line and earning a 50m penalty. Eddie Morris soccered through our second before Jay Kennedy-Harris made no mistake with his shot on the half-time siren from 40m out. It was a great end to the quarter for the Demons as Williamstown threatened to kick away themselves but a remarkable turnaround saw us regain the lead heading into half-time.

Corey Maynard shows excellent front-and-centre work, picking up the spoil forward to snap through the opening goal of the second half. Williamstown replied with a free-kick for a high tackle before once again Casey steadied and consolidated their lead with the final two goals of the term. Yllber Zijai worked through traffic to snap through an important goal for the Demons. After great team build-up, Sam Weideman marked on the three-quarter time siren and slotted the kick to put us up by 22 points. James Munro had nine third term possessions.

Williamstown looked threatening early in the fourth term with two goals inside the opening eight minutes to reduce Casey's lead to just eight points. The contest heated up as both sides knew there was big stakes on the line. Angus Scott was able to get into open space in the forward pocket, snapping a huge goal midway through term. The Demons were then able to lock the ball down with plenty of stoppages. Liam Hulett then kicked his second for the day on a tight angle on the boundary to seal the result. The win sees Casey move into the top four with a 24-point victory. 

James Munro topped the possessions with 27 and also laid 11 tackles. Jay Kennedy-Harris (23 touches, 11 tackles) and Tom Bugg (24 disposals, 14 tackles) were fantastic around the ground and didn't mind getting in the contests. With all the stoppages, Casey laid well over 100+ tackles. There was also 10 individual goal-kickers.

Casey are back at home in the final home-and-away game next Saturday night taking on the Werribee Tigers before a big finals series awaits.


Match Report Brought To You By: