Casey have booked their double-chance place with a 15-point win over Werribee at Casey Fields. 

The clash had so much meaning to it with a top-four spot on the line for Casey and top-eight on the line for Werribee. The Demons were prolific securing an 11.15 81 to 9.12 66 win to secure that double-chance spot.

It was the perfect start to the game for the Demons with Angus Scott reeling around in congestion to snap the opening major. Jay Kennedy-Harris received a through handball to snap our second goal ensuring a big start for us. The visitors clicked into gear with two successive goals to bring the game back to within just one-point. Our first 15 points of the game including (two goals) were snapped shots from the tight left pocket. Bayley Fritsch won the one-on-one battle with the defender to kick a late goal for the Demons. Ben Kennedy was leading the possessions with 10 at quarter-time, followed closely by Jake Lovett (8) and Josh Wagner (8). 

Bayley Fritsch took a perfect leading mark and made no mistake with his set-shot in the second minute of the quarter. The Werribee Tigers continued to remain in striking distance with another set of back-to-back goals. The Demons got on top of the Tigers in the second half of the quarter as Werribee became undisciplined, giving away three free-kicks that resulted in three goals and two 50m penalties. The first saw Angus Scott taken high in front of goal before two 50m penalties saw Maynard and Mitch King convert their shots. Casey went into the main break with a 21-point lead with Ben Kennedy starring with 18 possessions.

It was a tightly contested third term which actually saw the visitors get the upper hand in the latter part. Werribee opened the scoring with a quick goal before Tom Bugg was given a free-kick for being pushed in the back in front of goal. Shortly after we made a massive last-line of defence, saving a goal. Sam Weideman took a great mark for the highlights reel halfway through the term only to push his shot to the left. Corey Maynard converted his second goal of the day in the 17th minute. Werribee controlled proceedings for the remainder of the quarter kicking three unanswered goals. Casey had a narrow three-point lead heading into the final quarter.  

It was important for Casey to strike early after the Tigers gathered momentum in the back half of the third term. Dylan Gordon went forward and kicked a big set-shot to give us a 10-point lead in the second minute. It was a hard contested final term with both teams putting their bodies on the line. After a stretch of 19 minutes without any goals, Bayley Fritsch stepped up taking a great contested mark directly in front of goal. Fritsch slotted giving us a 16-point lead. Casey were critical with their defence in the final term holding Werribee goalless. The 15-point win books our place in the top four giving us a big opportunity in the finals.

Ben Kennedy topped the possessions with 28 whilst Angus Scott, Jack Trengove and Josh Wagner all bagged 21. Angus Scott also kicked two goals along with Corey Maynard and Bayley Fritsch. Yllber Zijai and Tom Bugg were strong around the contests with seven tackles each.      

Casey will now embark on a finals campaign with a Qualifying final next weekend against Williamstown after they won to secure the minor premiership.

Match Report Brought To You By: